Albuquerque Innsights

A local innkeeper knows New Mexico secrets and tells anyone who will listen.

Creamy Southwest Stuffed Poblano Peppers

I love stuffed peppers, but the usual tomato based sauce used doesn’t like me. I craved them though, so I came up with a new, non-tomato stuffed pepper and the results were scrumptious, if I do say so myself.  The best type of peppers to use for this recipe are Poblano chiles, but this recipe is not a poblano with mole recipe either, as is popular in the place of this pepper’s origination, Puebla, Mexico. I don’t really like mole that much.Stuffed poblano peppers

I started out knowing what kind of sauce I wanted, and it’s  cream based with chicken stock. I felt the best compliment to this would be the spicy, but not hot, Poblano pepper. The heat in these dark green, thin skinned chiles is minimal, but enough to make the flavor very interesting. In a pinch you could use sweet red bell peppers, but I think green bells would overpower the delicate flavor of the other ingredients.

Here’s how I make them. The recipe serves 2 stuffed halves each to four people, or 1 half each for eight as a side dish. The ingredients you’ll need are:

Stuffing
4 big fresh Poblano peppers
(try to get straight ones – they’re easier to stuff)
1 lb very lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
1 or 2 eggs (depending on size)
1/2 cup chopped roasted, skinned, and seeded green chile. Save 3 tbsp for the sauce! (canned chile will do, in a jar or frozen better, but freshly roasted is always best)
3/4  cup diced sweet yellow onion – again…save 3 tbsp for the sauce!
3 cloves garlic, 2 for the stuffing, 1 extra for the sauce
1 tsp fennel seed
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp crushed coriander
salt and pepper to taste

raw, unripe poblano peppers, halvedSauce
1 cup heavy cream
   (or thick crema fresca if you can find it)
1 cup chicken stock
3 tbsp butter
2-3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp of the chopped green chiles
3 tbsp of the diced sweet yellow onion
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper to taste

To start, cut the poblano chile peppers in half length wise and remove seeds and membrane. I like to be sure to have a bit of stem on each half for appearance sake. (The chiles in the picture still have seeds and membrane). Blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes to soften a little and set aside to cool and drain.

Pan fry the lean ground beef until done. I like it just a little browned. Add onions, green chile, garlic and sauté until onions are clearing. Don’t burn! Add spices and stir well, cooking for a few more minutes to marry the flavors. These spices are important to the flavor – don’t substitute! Set mixture aside to cool while you make the sauce.

Sauté the onions and garlic in butter, (oil is ok, but butter is always better!) When onions are clearing add the chile stir and sprinkle with flour. Stir again and then slowly add in the chicken stock a little at a time and continue to stir. Add salt and pepper. Continue to stir as you reduce liquid by about half and then add the cream. Stir it all up and let cool.

Stuffed Poblano peppers ready for the ovenWhen everything is cool enough NOT to cook the egg, combine the meat mixture, the rice, the egg, and about 1/4 cup of the sauce in a bowl and mix up well to distribute the egg throughout as a binder. The mix should not be soupy, but should hold together well. One egg may be enough – try one at a time and see.

Arrange chiles open side up in an oven proof baking pan, sprayed with a little oil so the peppers don’t stick, and spoon mixture into each chile. Push mix in with spoon and fill them up tight. Spoon remaining sauce onto the mix and if you like, sprinkle a bit of a mild white cheese, like queso fresco or some buttery asadero. Not really needed, but a nice addition for cheese lovers.

Baked Poblanos Stuffed with rice, beef in a creamy sauceBake for 45 minutes to an hour at 350º. Garnish with shredded lettuce and diced tomato if you like. Eat ‘em up!

The next time I make these I’m making extras for breakfast…there’s nothing finer for my Albuquerque bed and breakfast guests than one of these babies with a fried egg on top! YUM!

I cook up really good eats in Albuquerque!
Sarah Dolk, Adobe Nido Bed & Breakfast
Expert on Destination Albuquerque and Central New Mexico!

16 Responses to “Creamy Southwest Stuffed Poblano Peppers”

1. Diana says:

I made your Stuffed Poblanos in the morning before I went to work and just popped them in the oven when I got home. I am always looking for new recipes and this one is definitely a “keeper”. We added some sliced jalapenos at the table and it was delicious !! Thank you for sharing your recipe.

2. Sue Goodloe says:

Thanks so much for your info – made your recipe for the cream gravy to serve over chicken – used roasted & peeled pasilla’s, added some cilantro, chopped, and MY! Was it GOOD!!
    Love Hatch Green Chilies and your recipe!

3. Sue Goodloe says:

Are pasilla peppers same as poblano peppers?
    I would like to use this with chicken breast, would you use the same spices? Thanks you.

• adobenido says:

Hi Sue
      I found this in Wikipedia…
      “Pasilla (pronounced pah-SEE-yah; literally “little raisin”) refers to more than one variety of chili pepper in the species Capsicum annuum. A true pasilla is the dried form of the long and narrow chilaca pepper.However, in the United States producers and grocers often incorrectly use pasilla to describe the poblano, a different, wider variety of pepper whose dried form is called an ancho.”
      So the short answer seems to be, no. The long answer is if it looks like a poblano (like my photos) then it probably is.

Same spices with chicken? Why not?

4. Sounds great. Can’t wait to make them tonight.

5. Susan W. says:

This was fantastic I made this with Picadillo mix, doubled the recipe and made 15 medium size peppers. Froze half and the cream mix covered the whole dish i put in oven, wish there was a way to roast and peal the peppers faster but still worth the time thank you for the recipe.

• adobenido says:

I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe. Poblano peppers don’t usually need to be peeled. I would not go to the trouble because much like bell peppers the skin is not too tough.

6. Len says:

Play with the spices, I can not stand corrinder and never have it in the house. Always feel like you can adjust any spice to what you want.

7. joan pedigo says:

have many beautiful poblano in garden wood like to use this recipe for christmas cani make this up now and freeze thank you

8. Linda says:

Wonderful Recipe! Thank you for sharing this!

9. Nicole says:

I made this recipe and it is fantastic. The only thing that I did wrong was add cheese to the mixture. It was not required. Do not blanch more than three minutes. You will regret it. I was on the telephone and they cooked for four to five minutes. It was too long. I removed the filling. I will pick up new peppers tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe.

• adobenido says:

Ahhh, the telephone is always a nemesis of a great new recipe. Been there, and done that! I hope you enjoy the second round!

• Nicole says:

I did enjoy the second round. On my way to the store to make the third round. I was inspired by this recipe to make sausage (and ground beef) stuffed zucchini. I used the cream sauce from this recipe to pour over my zucchini. It was fabulous. Thank you.

10. Jayme says:

This is how stuffed peppers are done! Had them for dinner and I’ll be dreaming about them for breakfast. Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe.